April 20, 2018
Earth Day Recycling Tips!
Every year on April 22nd, we celebrate Earth Day. On this day, people and organizations across the world create programs and events that support environmental protection. From recycling materials to cleaning parks and beaches, we can all do our part to participate and protect our planet!
One of the easiest ways to support the environment is to follow the three R’s: reduce, reuse & recycle. While this may seem easy to say, sometimes its hard to find a place to start. Here are some tips on best recycling practices:
• Have a Recycling Bin: Start your recycling journey by getting a separate recycling bin in your home. By having an actual bin dedicated to recyclables, you’ll be more inclined to use it and fill it with plastic bottles and other materials. It also makes it easier to dispose of your recycling!
• Download a Recycling App: It’s easy to forget what you can and can’t recycle. Download an app such as Bin-Ovation where you can check at any time whether or not an item or material is recyclable.
• Buy Recycled Goods: Another easy way to reduce your carbon footprint is to buy recycled products. Most labels on products will say if it was made with any recycled materials. By doing this, you’re helping the Earth without having to even try too hard!
• Recycle Water: We use water for so many different purposes every single day. Imagine how much water gets wasted by just pouring it down the sink after using it! Leftover water can be used for a variety of things. For example, you can take the water you use to boil eggs and water your plants with it! Have a dehumidifier? Instead of just dumping the water, use it to wash your car. The possibilities are endless!
• Reduce Food Waste: Food waste is one of the biggest forms of waste that people can easily prevent. Think about shopping smarter by planning your meals in advance so you only buy what you need. And don’t forget about leftovers!
• Use Reusable Items: Every year, more and more plastic gets disposed of and it all begins to pile up in landfills. By using materials that can be washed and reused, you are already reducing waste! Glass cups, silverware, stainless steel straws (yes, they exist!), reusable water bottles, mugs, etc. are all great examples of reusable items. Tip: Ordering takeout? Tell the restaurant to leave out the plastic utensils!
• BYOB (Bring Your Own Bag): Skip out on the plastic bags at the grocery store and bring your own. Most bags that you bring to the grocery store will be bigger and stronger than the flimsy plastic bags so not only are you helping the environment, you’re helping yourself!
• Donate: Do you have any clothing, furniture, books, etc. that you don’t want anymore? Donate them to a good cause! This month at Meriel, we organized a clothing drive and received hundreds of pounds of clothing from our generous residents. Not only did we reduce waste, we helped people in need.
There are so many other ways to reduce, reuse and recycle, but these tips are a great place to start helping the environment. Happy Earth Day!