July 24, 2018
National Grilling Month | Tips & Tricks to Enhance Your Grilling
Summer is the best time to grill, so it’s no surprise that July is National Grilling Month! Whether you’re cooking a yummy cheeseburger or a decadent steak, there is always room to enhance your grilling to bring out the best flavors possible in your food. Below are some tips you can use all summer long that will help you become a grill master!
• Marinate your food: The night before you grill, throw whatever meat or vegetables you’re going to cook in a delicious marinade! Often times you can buy a pre-made marinade at the grocery store, or you can always make your own. Homemade marinades typically start with an olive oil base and fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme, basil or parsley along with garlic. From there you can add any flavors you like! Want something light and fresh? Add fresh lemon juice. For more depth of flavor, add another sauce like soy sauce! Lastly, never forget to season the food and marinade with salt and pepper.
• Create a “rub” for the meat: Don’t have time to marinate? No problem! Season the meat with a delicious spice rub. Mix together garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika and chili powder with olive oil. Place the rub all over the meat and throw it on the grill! You can also purchase a rub from a grocery store.
• Don’t use high heat: When you’re ready to throw food on the grill, be sure to only have the grill on medium heat. This will prevent flare ups on the grill and give your food an even cook. Throwing food on too hot of a grill will cook the outside too fast and leave the inside raw.
• Baste food while it’s on the grill: The flavor-adding isn’t over yet! When you’re cooking meat or vegetables on the grill, add more depth of flavor by basting it. Basting is simply brushing a mixture onto the food. If you’re cooking chicken, baste it with barbecue sauce while it’s on the grill to add a smoky flavor. If you’re cooking steak, baste it with a mixture of melted butter, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper. This will keep the steak moist and delicious!
• Grill a side: Grilling isn’t just meant for meat! Throw some veggies on the grill such as asparagus or zucchini and baste them with the same mixture you used for the meat. Grilled vegetables are delicious and add great flavor to your meal.
• Grill fruit for dessert: You heard right; fruit can also be grilled! Grill some pineapple and have it with pound cake and caramel sauce. Enhance your typically vanilla ice cream and enjoy it with grilled peaches. Grilling fruit brings out the natural sugars in fruit and caramelizes them to perfection. It’s the perfect way to end a grilled meal!
Try out these tips for the rest of the summer and you’ll be sure to impress family and friends at your next barbecue!